Terms/Fun Facts

Based On Industry Standards And Studebaker Terminology

“Harness” refers to a collection of multiple wires that are bundled together and for a wire assembly that looks like a tree with a main bundle (trunk) and breakouts (limbs).

“Cable” refers to 1 wire or a simple grouping of wires that have two ends with no breakouts.

“Strap” is a woven, flat conductor that is normally used for battery and engine grounds.

“Cloth wire” refers to wire that is actually modern plastic insulated wire braided with cotton and then lacquered.  Our cloth wire has the same look  as original cloth wire, but is new, modern wire underneath.

“Plastic wire” refers to wire that has plastic insulation only.  Studebaker started to implement this wire in 1955 and in 1956 most items used plastic wire other then a few things like the dome lamp cables and horn push button cables.

“Cloth over braid” refers to the braided cloth covering that is tightly woven around wire bundles such as a main chassis harness. This is accomplished using a special braiding machine.

 “Vinyl harness wrap”   This is a non-adhesive vinyl tape that is used to cover a bundle of wires in place of cloth over braid.  It was developed for use on navel ships and Studebaker started using it sparingly in the 1940’s.  You may have a main chassis harness that has a section of vinyl wrap that covers cloth over braid, this may actually be original.  Later in the 1940’s they started completely covering rear chassis harnesses with this tape. In 1953 they started using it on almost everything and dropping the use of cloth over-braid except on a few items like overdrive control harnesses.

“Moulded end” is where some of the terminals are encapsulated in rubber forming a connector.  Studebaker started doing this to a small degree in the later 1950’s and was using it quite extensively starting in 1959. We do our best to accurately reproduce this complicated and time consuming process.  The spelling of this word is usually “molded”, but Studebaker used “moulded”.

“LHC” and “RHC”, Studebaker used these acronyms to describe what side of the car the steering wheel was on. LHC meant left hand control where the steering wheel was on the left as you set in the vehicle and RHC meant right hand control.

6-12 volt, Studebaker switched from the 6 volt to 12 volt electrical system for the 1956 production year